February 16, 2017
This post is also available in: Français (French)
The holidays always call for delicious desserts, but a lot can end up adding a little extra festive fluff to your waistline. With that said, we wanted to share our healthier, yet delicious peanut butter energy ball recipe that make a perfect addition to your holiday spread. Psst … tell your mom’s famous shortbread cookies to move over this year!!
These energy balls are packed with protein and are kid approved. Plus, they are easy to make and with no baking required! But you do have to get your hands sticky, which always makes it a fun activity for the little ones! My mini is also a Planters peanut butter fan so this can sometimes turn into a full blown peanut butter eating contest behind the scenes. We kept our pjs on for this and embraced the PB morning adventure! Finally, here’s the recipe and we hope you try it this season because I’m certain you won’t be disappointed.
1.5 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup chocolate or vanilla whey protein powder
1/2 cup Planters Crunchy or Smooth Peanut Butter
1 tbsp. chia seeds
3 tbsp. natural honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2-4 tbsp. liquid (milk, water or almond milk)
1/3 cup dried cranberries
Planters Peanuts (as needed for toppings)
1. Add oats, protein powder, cinnamon and chia seeds to a large bowl.
2. Add in Planters peanut butter, honey, vanilla extract. Stir and combine.
3. Add in dried cranberries. Mixture will be sticky and a little crumbly.
4. Slowly add in 1 tbsp. of liquid at a time and use your hands to combine the ingredients together to create a sticky ball that holds. Note: if mixture is too dry, add in more liquid.
5. Roll into balls and top each with a Planters Peanut or two.
6. Place the balls into a container and into the fridge for at least 45 minutes. Store here until you and the family are ready to enjoy.
If you want to get really festive, you can also crush up candy canes into fine bits and roll the balls in them for that dusted candy cane coating. Another option is adding in mini green mint chocolate chips (1/3 cup) into your mixture to add a little more holiday cheer to your energy balls! There’s just something about pairing a little sweetness with Planters peanut butter that satisfies everyone’s tummies!
Wishing you a happy and healthy holidays!